2. Remove plug from head of lubricating oil filter
housing (Fig's. 1-1 and 1-2) or filter can to prime
Caution: Do not prime engine lubricating system
from by-pass filter.
3. Connect a hand-or motor-driven priming pump
line from source of clean lubricating oil to plug boss in
CHECK AIR CONNECTIONS
equipment, as used, and to air cleaners and air
crossovers to assure all are secured.
CHECK ENGINE COOLANT SUPPLY
1. Remove radiator cap and check engine coolant
supply. Add coolant as needed to completely fill system.
See Section 3 for coolant specifications.
2. Make visual check for leaks and open water filter
4. Prime until a 30 psi (2.1 kg/sq cm) minimum
pressure is obtained.
5. Crank engine at least 15 seconds (with fuel
STARTING THE ENGINE
shut-off valve closed or disconnected to prevent
starting), while maintaining external oil pressure at a
Starting requires only that clean air and fuel be
minimum of 15 psi (1.1 kg/sq cm).
supplied to the combustion chamber in proper quantities
6. Remove external oil supply and replace plug in
at the correct time.
lubricating oil filter housing, torque 15 to 20 ft-lbs (2.1 to
2.8 kg m).
NORMAL STARTING PROCEDURE
Caution: Clean area of any lubricating oil spilled
If fuel system is equipped with overspeed stop, push
"Reset" button before attempting to start engine.
7. Fill crankcase to "H" (high) mark on dipstick with
1. Set throttle for idle speed.
oil meeting specifications, listed in Section 3. No change
in oil viscosity or type is needed for new or newly rebuilt
Caution: Protect the turbocharger during the start-
up by not opening throttle or accelerating above
1000 RPM until normal engine idle speed oil
A dipstick oil gauge is located on the side of the
pressure registers on gauge.
engine. Fig. 1-3. The dipstick has an "H" (high) (1) and
"L" (low) (2) level mark to indicate lubricating oil supply.
2. Disengage driven unit or make sure gears are in
The dipstick must be kept with the oil pan, or engine,
with which it was originally supplied. Cummins oil pans
3. Open manual fuel shut-down valve, if engine is
differ in capacity with different type installations and oil
so equipped. Electric shut-down valves operate as
pan part numbers.
switch is turned on.