TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
BODIES AND CABS
and position it on the cloth. Saturate mat also with the
Press the patches firmly into place and allow to cure.
NOTE : It is a recommended procedure to leave the
washer and nut (if used) in the patch if the mat and cloth
4. Coat the inner surface of area being repaired with
were applied over them.
the resin mixture. When tacky, apply the patch prepared
in item 3. Using the polyethylene sheet, press out air
pockets and allow patch to cure.
5. On a piece of polyethylene, place another piece of
cloth larger than hole being repaired. Saturate with resin
mixture. Apply two layers of mat (Fig. 4), saturating both
with the resin mixture. Coat the outer surface of area
being repaired with the resin mixture. When tacky,
4. Mix a fresh supply of plastic putty and apply over the
position the entire patch on the prepared surface and
outside surface filling the large "V" like valley (Fig. 5).
press into position. Allow the patch to cure.
Before the plastic putty cures, remove the bolt and
washer (if used) from the outside and fill the hole with
putty and allow to cure.
6. After the inner and outer patches have cured, peel
off the polyethylene and smooth the outer surface. Any
of the polyethylene material left on patch will be removed
5. After the putty has cured, sand down to the exposed
7. In the resulting low spots, apply plastic putty. Then
over the putty place another sheet of polyethylene and
Small Scratches or Chipped Area:
squeeze well to remove all air. When putty has cured,
remove polyethylene and sand down to a feather edge.
Remove paint from area being repaired and fill damaged
Crack or Split:
area with a plastic putty mixture. After area has cured,
1. Remove loose material and grind to a broad "V" (Fig.
5). Clean inner panel also.
2. Align parts. A nut and bolt with large flat washers
may be used to draw parts together. See Fig. 6.
3. Cut one or two pieces of mat and apply to inner
surface with resin mixture. (On cracks where excessive
stresses may occur apply two pies of mat). Apply a
piece of cloth with the resin mixture to the inner surface
also. Extend patches beyond break about 2".