TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
Prior to installing the new replacement cartridge
2. Remove the desiccant sealing plate and rebuild it as
in the air dryer, the following steps must be follows:
outlined in "Removing & Rebuilding the Desiccant
1. Carefully remove the lock nut from the cartridge bolt
using an 11/16" open end or box wrench.
3. Remove and retain the spring, spring seat, bolt and
cartridge shell. Discard the oil separator filter, the
IMPORTANT: Care must be taken not to allow
two perforated plates and desiccant material.
the cartridge bolt to slip out of the cartridge when
the lock nut is removed. Loss of desiccant
Assembly of Desiccant Cartridge
material will occur should this happen.
1. Insert one of the perforated plates into the cartridge,
2. Install the previously rebuilt desiccant sealing plate
felt cloth up, and tap it firmly to the bottom. Felt
on the cartridge bolt so that the ball check retaining
always faces desiccant material (see Fig. 10).
clip remains visible (see Fig. 7).
3. While holding the cartridge bolt, reinstall the lock nut
on the cartridge bolt.
IMPORTANT: Before tightening the lock nut
down make certain that the shoulder
(unthreaded portion) of the cartridge bolt extends
slightly above the perforated desiccant plate (see
4. By tightening the lock nut, draw the desiccant sealing
plate down into the desiccant cartridge until the
shoulder of the desiccant sealing plate is against the
REBUILDING DESICCANT CARTRIDGE
Only the current revision
Fig. 10 Installing Felt Cloth in Cartridge
desiccant cartridges (see Fig. 9) can be rebuilt.
Currently revised desiccant cartridges are
2. Slide oil filter separator over the cartridge bolt with
identified positively by the Bendix trademark BW
the gasket surface next to the shell (Fig. 11).
stamped in the hex head of the cartridge bolt
and by the letters and number AD-2 displayed on
the bottom face of the oil filter. If an old revision
desiccant cartridge is removed from the air
dryer, it should be replaced with a complete
currently revised desiccant cartridge.
Disassembly of Desiccant Cartridge
1. Carefully remove the lock nut on top of the desiccant
sealing plate. (The plate is spring loaded; however, the
spring load is completely relieved when the nut is
Fig. 11 Installing Oil Filter Separator