TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
1. Make connections as shown in Fig. 12, except leave
2. Slowly increase the generator speed and observe
the carbon pile disconnected. IMPORTANT: Ground
polarity of energizer or battery and generator must
3. If the voltage is uncontrolled with speed and
be the same. Use a fully charged battery and a 10
increases above 15.5 volts on a 12volt system,
ohm resistor rated at six watts or more between the
check for a grounded brush lead clip as covered
generator No. 1 terminal and the battery.
under "Overcharged Battery, " Step 3. If not
grounded, replace the regulator and check field
4. If voltage is below 15.5 volts on a 12-volt system,
connect the carbon pile as shown.
5. Operate the generator at moderate speed as
required and adjust the carbon pile as required to
obtain maximum current output.
6. If output is within 10 percent of rated output as
stamped on generator frame, generator is good.
7. If output is not within 10 percent of rated output,
keep battery loaded with carbon pile and ground
generator field, Fig. 5.
8. Operate generator at moderate speed and adjust
carbon pile as required to obtain maximum output.
9. If output is within 10 percent of rated output, replace
regulator as covered under "Brush Holder and
Regulator Replacement" and check field winding.
10. If output is not within 10 percent of rated output,
and stator as previously cove red.
Fig. 12 Connections for Bench Check of