TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
7. Remove unit from cylinder block and sandpaper rough
ST-1168 Cylinder Liner Counterbore Salvage Tool
edges from top and bottom of cut and clean with compressed
This tool is used to enlarge damaged counterbores for the
installation of salvage sleeve or bores that have been
Note: If tool bit is changed, be sure and reset new tool bit.
reworked to maximum depth.
ASSEMBLY OF TOOL
Installing Repair Sleeve Into Cylinder Block 1.
sleeve, Part No. 195778, through upper bore and install
1.Assemble and secure adapter plate (ST-1168-28), (Fig. 1-
sleeve driver when sleeve is positioned in lower bore.
15) to main body.
2. Place sleeve and driver as a unit in position to go into
2. Assemble tool holder (ST-116839) on shaft of main
lower bore, insert driver handle.
body (1168) and secure with nut (ST-1168-33) and washer
Note: Inside diameter chamfer of sleeve to be toward deck.
MACHINING THE BLOCK
3. Install locator over driver handle and into counterbore.
1.Remove cutting tool from (ST-1 16839) holding plate.
4. Tap gently on driver handle until sleeve is located on
starting radius, then drive sleeve into place. When sleeve is in
2. Place boring machine on cylinder block above bore to
correct position, the sleeve drive handle will become free for
be cut and hand start mounting capscrews.
spacers (ST-1168-29 or 40) must be on capscrews.
Note: This tool is also used when machining the lower bore
3. Lower tool holder into bore by pulling up on orifice
If erosion has occurred, the chamfer area
retractor knob (ST-1168-14) while pushing down on set collar
may be built up by the use of a plastic steel compound (follow
manufacturers instructions) and resurfaced. Follow above
4. Tool holder lower diameter is used to center machine
instructions using ST-1096-2 Spacer and ST-1096-4 Tool Bit
in counterbore inside diameter. Push tool holder lower
when remachining chamfer.
locating diameter into counterbore and tighten four mounting
ST-1252 Concentricity Gauge
capscrews alternately to 25 to 35 ft-lbs [3.5 to 4.1 kg m]
Check the cylinder liner counterbore to lower bore
concentricity as follows:
5. Retract tool holder by pulling up on orifice retractor
knob (ST-1 168-14).
1.Place gauge flat on top deck of cylinder block with bumper
pins against counterbore inside diameter.
6. Loosen setscrew (ST-1168-23) in back end of tool bit
and push adjustable set pin (ST-1168-21) all the way in. Lock
2. Raise or lower bar to position indicator in area of lower
bore to be checked.
7. Adjust micrometer (ST-1168-25) to 6.750 inch [171.45
3. Holding gauge bumper pins firmly against counterbore
inside diameter, zero indicator.
8. Place tool bit (ST-1168-19) in tool bit gauge and hold
4. Release pressure, reposition gauge to check indicator
firmly against stop and hardened pad (ST-1168-27). Loosen
reading. Rezero indicator if necessary.
setscrew and allow adjustable set pin to come out against
5. Place gauge 180 deg. from original setting position,
micrometer spindle. Lock setscrew.
hold bumper pins firmly against counterbore inside diameter,
9. As a further check, back off thimble on micrometer and
record indicator reading.
recheck tool bit length again.
6. Move gauge 90 deg. and repeat procedure.
10. Insert tool bit into tool holder and tighten lockscrew
Note: Indicator readings recorded are two (2) times actual
(ST-1168-20). Tool bit must be held all the way in against tool
shift of bore. (Example: Indicator reading 0.002 inch [0.05
mm]. Actual shift from center of bore 0.001 inch [0.03 mm].
11. Turn tool holder until tool bit recess is at large opening
in (ST-1168-28) adapter plate.
12. Place a 0.004 inch [0.10 mm]feeler gauge between
block and tool bit and lower tool bit onto feeler gauge by