TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
Bore Feed Assembly
Bore Bar Bridge
Fig. 1-16, (ST-1177). Exploded view of ST-1177 Boring Tool
2. Coat outside of sleeve lightly with a suitable sealant
ASSEMBLY TO BLOCK
and drive sleeve into bore with driver until it bottoms (see ST-
1. Remove two undamaged main bearing caps.
1168-36 through 46). A solid sound can be heard when
Preferably one from each end of block or as far apart as
3. The sleeve will protrude above the top of block by
2. Insert proper centering rings, with oiler up, in two bores
0.004 inch [0.10 mm] and must be filed even with the top of
and tap top of centering ring with plastic hammer to seat.
block. Remove all burrs with emery cloth.
3. Reinstall main bearing caps and torque to required
4. The salvage sleeve is designed to be 0.005 to 0.010
specifications, following steps in Table 1-1 (18).
inch [0.13 to 0.25 mm] above required counterbore depth.
Note: If centering ring must be installed in journals which
Check depth and cut to specifications listed in Table 1-1 (2).
have had caps replaced by semi-finished caps, limit torque to
ST-1177 Main Bearing Boring Tool
10 ft-lbs [1. kg m].
This tool is designed to perform both the boring and checking
4. Oil centering ring bores and boring bar, install boring
Before boring operation, allow tool and block
to stabilize to room temperature.