TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
Fig. 5-53, F541. Pressing drive bearing on shaft
Fig. 5-55, F543, Installing drive cover oil seal
3. Press drive bearing from shaft only If bearing is rough
Note: Check gear to make sure it matches with
or shaft has worn grooves.
tachometer gear to give proper rotation. Fig. 5-30.
4. Check to see if parts are firmly seated. Insert snap
ring between ball bearing and governor drive gear.
1. If bearing or shaft is replaced, lubricate shaft with high
pressure lubricant and press bearing over shaft, pressing
Drive Cover Assembly Of Standard Cover and Cover
against Inner race of bearing. Fig. 5-53.
With Tachometer Drive
2. Press governor drive gear to drive shaft bearing over
1. Clean all parts thoroughly with mineral spirits or
3. Lubricate shaft and bore before pressing gear pump
2. Press first oil seal into drive cover with lip toward
drive coupling or rear tachometer drive gear, when used,
outside of pump, and press second oil seal into drive
on shaft; press against governor drive gear. Fig. 5-54.
cover with sealing lip toward inside of fuel pump. Seals
must be spaced so the "telltale" hole is not covered, Fig.
Note: Field installation of front cover tachometer drive
fuel pumps to engines not previously equipped, may
require air compressor modifications 011 must be
allowed to splash from the air compressor housing into
the fuel pump front cover cavity to lubricate the tach drive
gears. If an oil seal is used on the fuel pump side of the
compressor drive shaft, the seal must be removed, and
any oil drain holes plugged prior to fuel pump
single cylinder compressor air outlet plumbing and
the tachometer cable, use an air compressor head with
offset air outlet port.
3. Lubricate ST-419 Assembly Tool and install tool over
Fig. 5-54, F542. Pressing tachometer gear on shaft
main shaft. Place snap ring between drive gear and
bearing. Press main shaft assembly into front cover and
through seals. Secure snap ring in cover groove. Fig, 5-