TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
aneroid oil reservoir
Note: Aneroid oil level will be low if leakage Is occurring
at "O" ring b A quick check to determine if aneroid is or is
not the source, disconnect aneroid fuel outlet line at
aneroid and plug end of hose and opening in aneroid. If
air entry into fuel system continues, aneroid is not at fault.
If air entry stops, aneroid is at fault
2. Seal, Part No. 102827 leaking.
Check in usual manner
Adjustment On Engine
Accuracy of the following adjustments depend on the condition
2. Engine parts are the same as those listed on Control
of the engine, parasitic loads and accuracy of the instruments
Parts List and in good condition. Timing, valves and injectors
used. At no time should adjustments be made on a cold
are properly adjusted.
engine. The engine should be run before making adjustments
until oil temperature reaches 165 deg. F. and with the valves
and injectors set according to specifications.
Do not alter pump settings to satisfy gauges and
tachometers of unknown accuracy.
If the fuel pump has been removed from engine for calibration,
proper hookup is necessary.
4. Vehicle throttle control linkage is adjusted so full
throttle is obtained and when released throttle is stopped by
1. Install fuel pump to accessory drive or to compressor
front throttle adjusting screw (throttle leakage adjusting screw).
with new gasket and proper rubber buffer, nylon buffer or
spline coupling and tighten securely.
Note: Vehicle throttle control linkage should have a maximum
Note: Use black rubber buffer (spider) for engines rated at or
throttle stop, so when fuel pump full throttle is obtained
override pressure will not be on throttle shaft.
below 2800 rpm. Use white nylon above 2800 rpm.
5. When fuel pump has been properly calibrated, very
2. Squirt some clean lube oil into gear pump inlet hole.
little adjustment should be required after installation on the
This aids gear pump fuel pickup.
engine except idle since this setting is dependent on parasitic
loads. Fine adjustment of governor settings and fuel manifold
3. Connect the fuel pump line from the pump shutoff
pressure is permissible within the specified limits if justified by
valve to the fuel manifold or to front or rear of engine.
engine performance tests.
4. The throttle lever linkage should not be connected to
the throttle lever, thus leaving the throttle free for pump
5. Install accurate tachometer to fuel pump tachometer
1. After fuel pump installation, engine must be operated
drive shaft connection or use ST774 hand tachometer.
a sufficient period of time to purge all air from the fuel system
and to bring engine up to operating temperature (at least 165
6. Connect the shutoff valve electrical connections
deg. F [74 deg. C] oil temperature).
properly, leaving the manual control button in a closed position
Note: Idle speed adjustment should never be made on a cold
7. Connect pump cooling line to check valve elbow on
2. Remove pipe plug from spring pack cover.
Checking And Adjusting
3. The idle adjusting screw is held in position by a
The Fuel Pump On The Engine Before making fuel system
spring clip. Turn screw in to increase or out to decrease the
checks or adjustments on engine, be sure the following rules
speed. Use ST984 to adjust idle speed while engine is
running. This tool seals the spring pack housing, permitting an
1. Engine is at operating temperature. Fuel temperature
is not above 110 deg. F [43 deg. C] .