TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
replace the shaft.
5. Press the seal firmly in place and lubricate the lip with
Check the relief valve sub-assembly for free movement
in the cover bore. Remove burrs from the valve by
polishing, but do not round off the corners of the lands.
6. Slide the drive shaft into the body until the bearing is
Do not attempt to rework the valve bore. If the bore is
seated. Tap lightly on the end of the shaft if necessary.
damaged, replace the cover.
7. Install the bearing snap ring in body.
Coat all parts with hydraulic fluid to facilitate reassembly
8. Install new "O" rings in the body and cover.
and provide initial lubrication. Use small amounts of
petroleum jelly to hold "O" rings in place during
9. Insert the ring locating pins in the body and assemble
the ring aligning the scribe marks previously made before
1. If the cover has a through bore, insert the valve in the
bore, small land first. Then install the spring and plug.
10. Install the rotor on the shaft and insert the vanes in
On pumps having a blind bore, first install the spring,
the rotor slots. Be certain the radius edges of the vanes
then the valve with hexagon head end first. Follow this
are toward the cam ring.
with the snap ring being certain it is firmly seated in the
groove, then install the plug. Install the screen and plug
11. Place the pressure plate on the locating pins and flat
in the cover.
against the ring.
2. Press the shaft into the front bearing while supporting
12. Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to one end of
the bearing inner race. NOTE: Bearing should seat
spring and position in recess in the pressure plate.
against shoulder on shaft.
13. Carefully install the cover aligning the marks
3. Press the inner bearing into the body, using a driver or
previously made before disassembly. Install the cover
adapter which contacts the outer race only. NOTE: Make
screws and torque to 70 ft. lbs.
sure the bearing is firmly seated in the body.
14. Turn the shaft by hand to insure that there is no
4. Before assembling the shaft seal, determine the
internal binding. Then install the shaft key if so equipped.
correct position of the seal lip. Double lip seals are
assembled with the spring toward the rotor end of shaft.
Single lip seals have two pressure holes, which are
assembled toward the drive end of the shaft.
Sheppard Steering Gears use SAE 10W-30 engine oil.