TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
INSPECTION AND REBUILD
Fig. 6-4. Checking fourth clutch running clearance
Fig. 6-13 Fourth clutch assembly-cross-section view
step will not (fig. 6-44). The prescribed clearance is 0.
080 to 0.120 inch(2.03 to 3.05 mm). Any clearance
measurement within this range is satisfactory, but the
nearer to 0. 080 inch that can be attained, the longer the
clutch will maintain satisfactory clearance.
(8) Install 20 piston release springs, one each on
the 20 cast bosses on the fourth clutch piston (fig. 6-40).
(9) Install the spring retainer, recessed side
(outer lip) down, on the 20 piston return springs (fig. 6-
(10) Compress the spring retainer until the
Fig. 6-45 Installing retainer rings onto second clutch
snapring groove on the clutch hub is clear (fig. 6-41).
Install the snapring.
(1) Place center support housing assembly 16
(11) Grease (with oil-soluble grease) and install
(A, foldout 12), vertically (upright), on the work table.
the bearing race onto the rear hub of the fourth-clutch
housing (fig. 6-39).
(2) Remove pistons 10 and 21with attached
(12) Grease (with oil-soluble grease) and install
the bearing race onto the front hub of the fourth-clutch
(3) Remove the inner and outer sealrings from
housing assembly (fig. 6-38).
each piston. If replacement is necessary, disassemble
6-19. CENTER SUPPORT ASSEMBLY