TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
HT 700D SERIES TRANSMI SS IONS
(3) Remove oil seal 42 (A, foldout 14) from the
6-24. LOW PLANETARY CARRIER ASSEMBLY
4) If replacement of breather 1 is necessary, remove
it from the housing.
Disassemble the planetary assembly only if
there is evidence of undue wear or damage.
(5) Inspect neutral safety switch plug 41, washer 40,
Failure of one pinion requires replacement of
and reverse signal plug 4 for damage. If damaged,
the entire set, because the pinions are
replace with new parts.
(6) If it is necessary to replace nameplate 6, remove
a. Disassembly (A, foldout 15) (1) Using a 31/32-inch
one drive screw 5.
drill, centered accurately, drill into one end of each pinion
pin 20 until the swaged end is sufficiently weakened.
All replacement parts ordered refer to the
information both nameplate Therefore it is
Do not drill into metal of carrier 19.
imperative that the new nameplate be stamped
with identical information.
(2) Place carrier assembly 18 in a press, and
press four pins 20 from carrier 19, shearing the drilled
ends of pins 20.
Refer to paragraph 6-2, above.
b. Assembly (A, foldout 14)
(1) Coat the inside diameter of oil seal 42 (A,
foldout 14) with a seal lubricant, and the outside diameter
with a nonhardening sealant. Install the oil seal, lip first,
into the transmission housing (Fig. 6-62). Use installer
32 (Fig. 4-3) to properly locate the seal in the housing.
The seal must clear the chamfer in the housing bore.
(2) Hold detent lever 34 (A, foldout 14) so that the
selector valve pin extends toward the inside of the
housing (Fig. 6-61).Slide the manual shaft through the
opening in the housing, oil seal, and slot in the detent
lever. Install the locknut and retainer pin. Tighten the
locknut to 15 to 20 pound feet (20 to 27 Nm) torque.
(3) If breather 1 (A, foldout 14) was removed,
install the breather.
(4) If removed, install nameplate 6 and drive screw
5 (refer to a(6), and note, above).
Fig. 6-62. Installing manual shaft oil seal