TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
HT 700D SERIES TRANSMISSION
adapter housing. Retain it with two 1/2-13 x 5 3/4-inch
bolts (Fig. 7-14).
(6) Position the transmission with the front
(7) Remove the center support snapring and
anchor bolt. Attach bracket 5 (Fig. 4-2) to the center
support, and remove the support assembly (Fig. 7-5).
(8) Remove the snapring and the second
clutch plates (Fig. 7-4). These plates are now preset for
proper clearance and should be retained as a pack for
7-6. INSTALLING FIRST CLUTCH, GEAR UNIT,
SECOND CLUTCH, CENTER SUPPORT
(1) Place the rear planetary ring gear, short
splines (rear) downward, on a bench. Install ten of the
plates from the clutch pack removed in 7-4c(5), above,
as follows. Lay aside the first three plates from the
piston end of the pack (refer to para 7-2b). Starting with
the fourth plate in the pack (internal splined), alternately
install five internal splined and five external tanged plates
onto the ring gear.
(2) Align the external tangs of the plate pack.
Carefully invert the ring gear and plate pack, and install
the assembled parts into the rear of the transmission
(3) Install the three remaining plates of the
pack (external-tanged, internal-splined, external-tanged
Last plate installed must be a thick plate.
(4) Place the adapter housing with piston
(front) downward onto the transmission housing.
Fig. 7-14. Installing gear unit assembly