TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
b. Gear Unit, Second Clutch, Center Support
(1) Attach lifting bracket 16 (Fig. 4-2) to the
assembled gear unit (Fig. 7-14). Lower the gear unit
carefully, aligning the pinions of the rear planetary to
mesh with the rear planetary ring gear.
(2) Install the second clutch plate pack
removed in a(8) above. The thinner external tanged
plates should all be toward the rear of the transmission
housing (refer to para7-2b). Begin with an external-
tanged plate (Fig. 7i5) and alternately install seven
external-tanged and six internal-splined plates.
Fig. 7-16. Installing second clutch snapring
(3) Install the snapring that retains the second
clutch pack (Fig. 7-16).
center support. Using lifting bracket 5 (Fig. 4-2), install
the center support assembly, aligning its tapped hole
(4) Install the third clutch piston assembly into
with the anchor bolt hole in the transmission housing
the center support. The lips of the sealrings must be
toward the cavity in the
(5) Install the special 3/8-16 x 3-inch (2 1/4-
inch in earlier models) anchor bolt and plain washer,
finger-tight. Remove the lifting bracket.
(6) Install the snapring, selected in paragraph
7-4b(7), that retains the center support assembly (Fig. 7-
25). The gap of the snapring should be toward the top of
(7) Position the transmission rear upward, and
Fig. 7-15. Installing second clutch plate