TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
Fig. 7.33. Installing third clutch snapring
b. Forward Clutch
(1) Prior to the installation of the forward
clutch assembly, make sure the thrust bearing race and
thrust bearing have been installed at the rear of the
clutch assembly. Use oil-soluble grease to hold the race
and bearing in place during installation of the clutch
(2) Install alignment fixture 13 (fig. 4-2).
Engage the fourth-clutch plates by applying air pressure
Fig. 7-3,4. Applying air pressure to fourth clutch piston
to the fourth-clutch piston (fig. 7-34). If all plates do not
engage tool 13 (fig. 4-2), the fixture will rise slightly when
7-12. INSTALLING TORQUE CONVERTER HOUSING
air pressure is applied.
a. Housing With 2-Bolt Top Cover
(3) Hold air pressure in the clutch and remove
the fixture. Continue holding air pressure, and install the
(1) Place the converter housing assembly (as
forward clutch assembly (with race and bearing) (fig. 7-
assembled in para 6-10) on the work table, so that both
the front and rear are accessible.
(4) Release the air pressure when the forward
(2) sure that the thrust race, needle bearing,
clutch is fully seated (forward clutch will fall slightly when
and two sealrings have been installed at the rear of the
air is released if the clutch is not fully seated).
converter housing (fig. 6-13)
(5) Make sure the thrust bearing race on the
front of the forward clutch assembly is installed (fig. 7-
36). If not, apply oil-soluble grease to the race and install