SHIFTER HOUSING FRONT CONTROL
3. If shift rod oil seals (R-3) were removed, use a
light coat of gasket cement on O.D. of seals and use 12 "
tubing or proper tools to press seals into housing.
1. Shift auxiliary into neutral. Remove retaining cap
screws (K-2) and lock washers (K-5). Separate cover
4. Assemble shift rod poppet spring (R-6), poppet
(R-2) from case (G-1) and gasket (K-I) and lift straight
plunger (R-5) and poppet ball (R-4) into lower end of
interlock and poppet cross hole in front boss of shifter
housing. Use poppet assembly tool to preload poppet,
2. Remove plug (R-7) from poppet ball hole and tip
ball and spring during assembly of shift rod.
shifter housing to remove poppet spring (R-6), poppet
plunger (R-5) and poppet ball (R-4) from housing.
5. Select the shortest shift rod (direct and overdrive
speed shift rod R-8) and enter it through the lower oil seal
3. Place shifter housing in a vise so that shift forks
(R-3) and into bore of housing. Position shift rod so that
are facing out and end of shift rods (R-11 and R-8) are
three poppet notches are down and will align with poppet
pointing to the right.
4. Remove screw (R-14) in shift forks (R-9 and R-
6. Tap shift rod (R-8) through first boss to dislodge
12). Remove screw (R-14) from shift fork (R-12) and use
poppet assembly tool. Slide shift rod through bore and
brass drift to tap shift rod free of underdrive shift fork (R-
with long hub of shift fork to the left. Assemble direct and
12). If models 8031-P or Q are being worked on remove
overdrive shift fork (R-9) to rod.
stop sleeve (R-13) behind fork (R-12). If model R8031-R
is being worked on remove long stop sleeve (R-13) in
7. Locate shift fork (R-9) in its proper position and
front of fork (R-12).
secure to shift rod with screw (R-14). Torque screw to 40
50 lbs. ft.
5. Remove screw (R-14) from direct and overdrive
shift fork (R-9). Use brass drift to tap shift rod forward
and free of fork. Use caution as shift rod is pulled free of
8. Locate direct and overdrive shift rod in its neutral
position and drop interlock (R-10) into interlock and
front boss to prevent loss of interlock (R-10) and poppet
poppet cross hole of front boss. Make sure interlock
ball (R-4). Use magnet or tip shifter housing over to
seats in neutral notch of shift rod (R-8).
remove poppet plunger (R-5) and spring (R-6) from cross
bore in front boss of shifter housing.
9. Select longest shift rod (underdrive rod R-11)
and enter through upper oil seal (R-3) and through front
6. If shift rod oil seals (R-3) are to be replaced then
boss of shifter housing. Position shift rod so that two
remove from housing at this time. Remove old gaskets
poppet notches are up.
from sealing surface and clean housing for inspection
prior to reassembly.
10. Slide shift rod into housing. With long hub of shift
fork to the right, assemble underdrive shift fork (R-12) to
7. Clean and inspect all shifter housing parts for
rod. If reassembling cover for R8031-P or Q model,
wear or damage before reassembly.
assemble stop sleeve (R-13) in back of fork (R-12). If
reassembling cover for R8031-R assemble long stop
sleeve (R-13) on shift rod before assembling fork (R-12)
11. Pass shift rod through rear boss and locate shift
1. To reassemble shifter housing it may be placed
fork in its proper position on rod. Secure fork to rod with
on edge in a vise with inside of housing facing out and
screw (R-14) torque to 40-50 lbs. ft.
shift rod oil seal openings to the right. Or, if desired,
housing may be placed upside down on a bench.
12. Assemble poppet ball (R-4), poppet plunger (R-
5) and poppet spring (R-6) through threaded hole on top
2. Check fit of shift rods (R-8 and R-11) in shift
outside of shifter housing. Secure with poppet hole plug
forks (R-9 and R-12) as well as in their proper position in
housing to make sure the parts assemble properly and
slide freely. Remove shift rods and apply a light coat of
13. Use large screwdriver and move underdrive shift
grease to all bores in housing and to the rods as they are
fork out of neutral position. If interlocks are in place and
assembled in the housing.
operative then direct and overdrive shift fork (R-9) will be
locked in the neutral position.
14. Return underdrive rod to neutral. Check shifting
of both shift rods in and out of neutral to make sure they
travel freely and completely into all shift positions. Shift
rod back into neutral position.