3. Coat thrust faces and splines of main shaft with
gear bushing (H-2) in cap. Lubricate with engine oil and
light grease. Enter pilot bearing end of main shaft
assemble speedometer driven gear (H-21) and sleeve
through rear bearing bore until main shaft has passed
(H-22) to cap. Check speedometer driven gear to make
through underdrive gear sleeve (B-13) approximately 1".
sure it rotates freely and has .005-.008 end play.
4. Place overdrive gear and sleeve assembly (B-7
13. Apply gasket cement to mainshaft rear bearing
thru B-10) in case with clutch teeth forward or away from
cap gasket (H-4) and install on rear bearing cap. Align
underdrive gear (B-12). Slide main shaft forward through
the oil passage ports.
bore of sleeve (B-10).
14. Apply gasket cement to other side of gasket and
assemble bearing cap and gasket to rear of case. Dip
cap screws (H-5) in gasket cement and assemble to
Check to make sure inner race of drive gear
case with copper washers (H-7). Torque cap screws 60
pocket bearing (A-10) is in place in drive gear
80 lbs. ft. then lockwire. Assemble dirt flinger on hub of
yoke or flange if removed.
5. Assemble direct and overdrive clutch collar (B-6)
15. Assemble end yoke or flange (B-25) to mainshaft
to clutch gear (B-5). Extended hub of clutch collar
with pusher tool. Do not drive yoke or flange onto shaft
assembles toward front as does lock ring counterbore in
without provisions to block mainshaft overdrive gear (B-
end of clutch gear (B-5). Position gear and collar in case
7) against front of case with hardwood block. Be sure
and assemble to main shaft spline.
lock ring (B-2) is in proper location.
6. Place a 1/2" thick soft block (aluminum or brass)
between main drive gear (A-1) and direct and overdrive
If necessary to drive flanges or end yokes onto
clutch gear (B-5). Tap mainshaft forward until the lock
mainshaft spline, take care not to damage flange
ring groove in splines at front of mainshaft extend beyond
pilot surfaces or bearing diameters in yokes. Use
face of clutch gear (B-5).
tubing and drive on hubs only.
7. Assemble lo-lo gear thrust washer (B-21) on rear
of mainshaft with flat surface of washer toward lo-lo gear
16. Assemble flat washer (B-27) and nut (B-28) to
(B-18) or clutch gear (B-17).
mainshaft. Lock unit in two gears and torque to 500 550
8. Position mainshaft rear bearing (B-22) onto
mainshaft with external snap ring away from case. Use
17. Shift clutch collars back into neutral and make
pinch bar to lift mainshaft into position to align outer race
sure all shafts turn free.
of bearing with rear case bore. Tap rear bearing onto
18. Apply gasket cement to drive gear bearing cap
mainshaft and into rear case bore. If bearing taps into
gasket (F-8) and install on drive gear bearing cap (F-7).
position easily, then seat snap ring of bearing against
Align the oil passage ports.
case and proceed to step 11.
19. Apply gasket cement to other side of gasket and
9. If mainshaft rear bearing (B-22) does not tap into
assemble drive gear bearing cap to front of case. Make
position readily then remove 2" block between drive gear
sure bearing cap is piloted on drive gear roller bearing
(A-1) and clutch gear (B-5). Assemble lock ring (B-2) to
groove in mainshaft.
20. Dip cap screws (F-9) in gasket cement and
10. Use short length of 2Y " I.D. tubing with flange
assemble to case with lock washers (F-10). Tighten and
washer and nut (B-27 and B-28) to pull mainshaft back
torque drive gear bearing cap retaining cap screws, 60
into its proper position and against rear mainshaft
80 lbs. ft.
bearing. Make sure ring is centered and seated inside of
21. Position outer roller bearing (A-7) with flange of
clutch gear (B-5) counterbore during mainshaft
inner race facing drive gear splines, also outer race snap
ring toward splines on shaft of main drive gear (A-1). Use
11. Remove puller tool or tubing from rear of
tubing and drive on inner race of bearing. Seat bearing
mainshaft and assemble rear bearing washer (B-23) and
tight against shoulder in bearing cap.
speedometer gear or spacer washer (B-24) to mainshaft
22. If used, assemble new lip seal (F-2) to front
and seat against rear bearing (B-22).
bearing cap (F-l). Apply gasket cement to front bearing
12. If mainshaft rear bearing cap oil seal (H-3) was
cap cover gasket (F-3) and install on bearing cap cover
removed, then replace. Use gasket cement on O.D. of
(F-l). Line up oil drain hole.
seal and use seal installation tool to press into place. If
23. Apply gasket cement to other side of gasket and
required, assemble new speedometer
assemble bearing cap cover to front of drive gear bearing