CONTROLLED SPREADING - CONTINUED
3. Adjust tailgate chain as needed to control opening. Adjust chain equally on both sides.
Lift chain from slot on upper chain latch (View A, Figure 2).
Tighten chain as necessary (View B, Figure 2).
Slide chain link into slot on lower chain latch (View C, Figure 2).
Remove chain from slot on lower chain latch and pull it tight (View D, Figure 2). Press back into
slot on lower chain latch. Ensure chains hang even on both sides (View E, Figure 2).
4. Start engine and engage PTO (TM 9-2320-273-10).
5. Move T-handle control lever (Figure 4) to up position. Raise dump bed 23 ft, release T-handle, and
place lever in N (neutral) position.
Watch guide rod through rear view mirror to observe dump bed
6. Remove safety loop from tailgate control lever (Figure 3).
7. Pull lever to "tailgate open" position (Figure 4). This releases jaws holding bottom pins of tailgate
(Figure 5). Material should spill out under tailgate.
Figure 2. Tailgate Chain Adjustment.
8. Release parking brake.
9. Place transmission in first gear and drive truck forward slowly.