TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
three or four seconds of cranking, close compression
INSTALLATION OF ENGINE
release and continue to crank until engine fires.
1. Place engine on dynamometer test stand,
secure engine mounting pads to engine support risers.
Do not crank engine continuously for more than 30
2. Position dynamometer drive shaft flange to
Check for proper alignment per
seconds. If engine does not fire, wait two to five
minutes before repeating to avoid cranking motor
3. Connect water supply and return hose to the
water cooling arrangement.
4. Attach ST1190 Fuel Consumption Measuring
Cold Start With Preheater
Device to engine.
1. Set throttle in idle position, turn glow plug toggle
5. If engine is equipped with an aneroid control,
switch to "ON" position. (Red indicator light must be on.)
disconnect fuel pressure and fuel return line and plug
After red' light has been on for 20 seconds, start
lines. The aneroid is reconnected just after "power
cranking engine. As soon as engine begins rotating,
check" is made.
operate preheater priming pump to maintain 80 to 100
6. Connect throttle linkage instruments, exhaust
psi [5.6 to 7.0 kg/sq. cm] fuel pressure. (Use of primer
piping and air intake piping to engine.
before 20second interval will wet and cool glow plug and
7. On naturally aspirated engines, plug vent holes
in cylinder heads before making blowby check. After
testing, remove pipe plugs.
Note: On engines equipped with an oil pressure switch,
8. Install ST487 BlowBy Checking Tool in
the fuel bypass switch must be In "START" position
crankcase breather opening or special rocker cover.
before use of priming pump. Hold in "START" position
Use water manometer and fill to "O" mark at middle of
until engine oil pressure reaches 7 to 10 psi [0.5 to 0.7
scale. Close all openings that would allow blowby
kg/sq. cm]then move to "RUN" position.
pressure to escape.
2. If engine does not start within 20 seconds, stop
9. Start engine, see "Starting Procedure," open
cranking, wait two to five minutes and repeat cranking
coolant supply to engine water connection. Introduce
water to dynamometer per manufacturer's instructions.
3. After engine starts, pump primer slowly to keep
Check all tubing, hose, lines, fittings and plugs for leaks.
engine idling smoothly. Do not accelerate engine.
Correct as necessary. See "Check Turbocharger Oil
4. When engine has warmed up so it does not
falter between primer strokes, stop pumping. Close and
10. For engine run-in, see "Test Procedure.
lock primer. Turn off glow plug toggle switch.
Check Turbocharger Oil Flow
Failure To Start
1. Disconnect turbocharger oil drain line.
1. If engine gives no indication of starting during
2. Start engine and maintain rpm at low idle.
first three full strokes of preheater pump, check intake
3. Observe oil drain. Oil should flow in 10 to 15
manifold for heat. If there is no heat, check electric
seconds. If no oil flows in 30 seconds, shut down engine
wiring. If wiring is all right, remove pipe plug from
and correct fault.
manifold and observe glow plug. Glow plug should be
4. Reconnect oil drain line when flow is established.
white hot; if not, connect plug to a six or twelve volt
source and check amperage which should be 30
(minimum). If glow plug is all right, check manual switch
and resistor; replace if necessary.
Normal Without Cold-Starting Aid
1. Set throttle for idle speed, open manual fuel
shutdown valve, if used. Electric fuel shutdown valves
Table 1414, "Dynamometer Test Chart," are for engines
operating at No. 1 Curve or intermittent duty applications
at sea level, 60 deg. F [16 deg. C] intake air
Note: The manual override knob provided on forward
temperature and 29.92 inch [760.0 mm] Hg (Mercury)
end of electric shutdown valve, allows valve to be
opened in case of electric power failure or if power is not
2. Where it is necessary to derate because of high
available during testing. To use, open by turning fully
altitude operation, the derating may be done by reducing
maximum governed rpm or maximum fuel rate. Refer to
2. Pull compression release if so equipped, press
FUEL PUMP SYSTEM
starter button or turn switch key to "start" position. After