TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
Installing Center Sleeve and Bushing
1. Apply a thin coat of white lead to outside diameter of
sleeve and bushing assembly.
Support beam in press.
Using adapter, press
bushing and sleeve assembly into beam. See Fig.
Bushing and sleeve assembly should be
centered in beam.
Preparing to Press Bushing into
ASSEMBLY (Leaf Spring Type)
Assembling Spring to Saddle
1. Seat spring in spring saddle with head of spring
center bolt positioned in hole provided in saddle.
2. Position spring top pad slide (Fig 13) over "cup" on
main spring leaf.
3. Position spring top pad on spring making sure pad is
Fig. 11 Installing Center Sleeve and Bushing
4. Install saddle-to-top pad bolts and nuts. Run nuts up
snug, but do not tighten completely at this time.
5. To properly position the spring in the saddle, tighten
REPLACING TORQUE ROD BUSHINGS
the spring aligning set screws to specified torque
(see "Torque Chart"). Tighten aligning screw
Removing Torque Rod Bushings
6. Tighten saddle-to-top pad bolt nuts to specified
1. Cut off rubber bushing flush with torque rod, as
torque (see "Torque Chart").
instructed for equalizer end bushing removal. Refer
to Fig. 7.
2. Support torque rod in press. Using a piece of tubing
Installing Spring and Saddle Assembly
as an adapter, press bushing out of torque rod.
1. Using roller jack, position spring (with saddle) in front
Installing Torque Rod Bushings
and rear spring mounting brackets.
2. Align spring eye with spring pin bore in front bracket.
1. Apply a thin coat of white lead to outer diameter of
Install spring pin, aligning draw key slot in pin with
draw key bore in bracket.
2. Install sheave puller over bushing and compress
3. Install draw key, lock washer and nut. Tighten nut to
rubber until puller jaws will seat on end of bushing
specified torque (see "Torque Chart").
sleeve. Refer to Fig. 9.
4. Install lubricator fitting in spring pin. Lubricate pin
with viscous chassis lubricant.
3. Place adapter over end of bushing, resting on
sheave puller. (See Fig. 12. ) Press bushing into
torque rod until bushing is centered in bushing bore.