TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
HT 700D SERIES TRANSMISSIONS
(3) Turn the piston assembly over, and cut the our
retainer rings while depressing the retainer (Fig. 6-65).
Any method of removal except cutting may
damage the risers on the piston. Damage will
lessen the holding power of retainer rings
(4) Remove the spring retainer and 28 springs
from the piston (Fig. 6-55).
(5) If replacement is necessary, remove dowel pins
11 and 12, and orifice plug 13 (A, foldout 15) from
adapter housing 10.
Refer to paragraph 6-2, above.
(5) When all four retainer rings are properly installed,
remove the piston assembly from the adapter housing.
b. Assembly (A, foldout 15)
(6) Lubricate sealrings 7 and 8 with transmission fluid.
(1) If removed, install new dowelpins 11 and 12
Install the sealrings, with the lip of each sealring facing
into housing 10. They must project 0. 360 to 0.400
rearward, away from the spring side of the piston (Fig. 6-
(9.15 to 10.16 mm) above the front face of the adapter
housing. Install orifice plug 13 (if removed) flush with, or
to 0. 060 inch below the front face of the housing.
(7) Do not install the piston assembly into the adapter
housing until the housing is installed, as outlined in
(2) Place piston 6 in the piston cavity of housing
Section 7, for gear unit installation.
10. Be sure it is firmly bottomed in the cavity.
(3) Install 28 springs 5 into their recesses in the
piston. Install retainer 4, so that its offset tangs are
upward, onto the piston and springs.
6-26. GEAR UNIT AND MAIN SHAFT ASSEMBLY
(4) Using installer 58 (Fig. 4-4), install four retainer
a. Disassembly (A, foldout 13)
rings 3 (A, foldout 15).Press each ring into place until the
adjacent retainer tang bottoms in the counterbore of the
(1) Remove thrust washer 1 (fig.6-66) from sun
gear 2. Remove sun gear 2 and thrust washer 3.
(2) Remove front planetary carrier assembly 4, and
Failure to install the retainer rings properly can
thrust washer 5. Refer to paragraph 6-30 for rebuild of
result in transmission damage or malfunction.
the carrier assembly.
If installed too far onto the risers, proper clutch
clearance cannot be obtained .If not installed
far enough, the retainers may fall off.