TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
HT 700D SERIES TRANSMISSIONS
Fig. 6-20 Checking oil pump drive gear end clearance
Fig. 6-19 Checking oil pump driven gear end clearance
(19) Install the cover, and retain it with the 1/4-20 x 5/8-
(15) Install the bearing race, flat side first, onto the front
inch flat-head screw (fig. 6-15).
support hub (fig. 6-13).Install the needle bearing onto the
(20) Check the oil pump driven gear end clearance as
shown in figure 6-19. Check the oil pump drive gear
clearance as shown in figure 6-20. The gear end
clearance should not exceed 0. 006 inch (0.15 mm).
Grease both the race and bearing,
before installing, with sufficient oil-
(21) Install the sealring around the cover outer
soluble grease to retain them.
circumference (fig. 6-21). Install two 3/8-16 guide screws
into the pump at the locations shown.
(16) If the oil seal was removed from the oil pump body,
install a new seal (fig. 6-18). Use seal installer 27 and
(22) Lubricate the seal ring (if used) and oil pump cavity
driver handle 28 (fig. 4-3) for driving or pressing the seal.
in the housing (fig. 6-21).
The lip of the seal must face inward (toward rear of
transmission). If no installer is available, press the seal
Install the pump assembly, guiding the screws through
lightly until it is flush with the front of the housing.
the holes indicated.
(23) While holding the pump assembly in place, install six
3/8-16 x 4-inch bolts to retain it (remove guide screws to
The installer 27, (fig. 4-3) can be used
install last two bolts). Tighten the bolts to 36 to 43 pound
with the transmission assembled except
for the flywheel and torque converter.
(24) Lubricate the two step-joint seal rings with oil-soluble
(17) If the needle bearing (fig. 6-15) was
g r e a s e, and install them into the grooves in the front
removed from the oil pump driven gear, install a new
support hub (fig. 6-13).
bearing. Center it in the gear.
(25) If removed, install plugs 18 (A, foldout 8). Use
(18) Install the driven gear and the drive gear into
nonhardening sealer on the plug threads, and tighten
the oil pump body (fig. 6-15).
them to 50 to 60 inch-pounds (5. 64 to 6.78 Nm) torque.