TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
INSPECTION AND REBUILD
Para 6-17/ 6-18
to the forward-clutch housing. Install the PTO gear,
chamfered end of internal splines first, from the rear of
the clutch housing. Slide the gear onto the housing until
the snapring engages its mating groove in the gear.
(21) Grease and install two hook-type sealrings
4 (A, foldout 11). Install hook-type sealring 1 on the front
of the turbine shaft. Install thrust bearing race 2, cupped
side first, onto the front of the forward clutch housing.
(22) Grease (with oil-soluble grease) and install
bearing race 25, flat side first, and needle bearing 26
onto the rear of forward clutch hub 20.
6-18. FOURTH CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
a. Disassembly (B, foldout 11)
Fig. 6-39 Removing (or installing) fourth clutch rear
(1) Remove the bearing race from the front hub
of the fourth-clutch housing (fig. 6-38).
(5) Remove five external-tangled clutch plates and five
internal-splined clutch plates.
(2) Remove the bearing race from the rear hub
of the fourth-clutch housing (fig. 6-39).
(6) Using items 3 and 4 (fig. 4-2), compress the spring
retainer until it is clear of the snapring (fig. 6-41).
(3) Place the fourth-clutch assembly, snapring
Remove the snapring.
up, on the work table.
(7) Carefully release the pressure from the spring
(4) Remove the large snapring and the back
retainer. Remove the retainer and 20 piston return
(8) Remove the piston from the clutch housing (fig. 6-41).
Fig. 6-40 Removing (or installing) fourth clutch plates