TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
HT 700D SERIES TRANSMISSIONS
(11) While holding hub F firmly against snapring
H, measure. the clutch clearance with gage 42 (fig. 4-3)
at the location shown CLUTCH in figure 6-35. When
clearance is satisfactory, the thinner step of the gage will
enter between the driving hub and clutch plates; the
thicker step will not (fig. 6-37). The prescribed clearance
is 0.080 to 0. 120 inch (2.03 to 3.05 mm). Any clearance
measurement within this range is satisfactory, but the
nearer to 0.080 inch that can be attained, the longer the
clutch will maintain satisfactory clearance.
(12) If the clutch running clearance is not within
the specified limits, remove snapring H, fourth-clutch
driving hub F and clutch plates D and E. Replace clutch
plates, as required, to obtain the desired running
Fig. 6-36 Installing forward clutch piston
clearance. Refer to wear limits in Section 8, to determine
the plate thickness.
(13) Repeat items (9), (10) and (11), above.
When the clutch running clearance is within the specified
limits of 0. 080 to 0. 120 (2.03 to 3.05 mm), remove
snapring H and hub F.
(14) Install 20 piston return springs 14 (A, foldout
11) onto the spring guide bosses of piston 13. Place
spring retainer 15 on top of the 20 springs, recessed side
(outer lip) of the retainer facing down.
(15) Compress spring retainer 15 until the
snapring groove on the clutch housing hub is exposed
(fig. 6-30). Install the snapring.
Fig. 6-37 Checking forward clutch plate running
(16) Grease (with oil-soluble grease) and install
the thrust bearing race onto the retainer hub of forward
clutch housing (fig. A
(17) Grease (with oil-soluble grease) and install
the bearing race and needle bearing onto the inner hub
of the forward clutch hub). (fig. 6-29).
Install the forward clutch hub, outer splines first, into the
forward clutch housing (fig. 6-29).
(19) Install the fourth- clutch driving hub 23 (A,
Fig. 6-38 Removing (or installing) fourth clutch front
foldout 11) and retain it with snapring 24.
(20) Place the forward clutch housing on a work
table, turbine shaft upward. Install PTO gear snapring 8
(A, foldout 11) on