TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL
(6) Install the third-clutch snapring (fig. 7-33).
7-11. INSTALLING FOURTH, THIRD, FORWARD
Be sure the gap of the snapring is at the top of the
a. Fourth Clutch, Third Clutch
(7) Check the third clutch running clearance
by inserting gage 43 (fig. 4-3) between the snapring and
(1) Prior to the installation of the fourth-clutch
the back plate of the third clutch (fig. 7-33). The
assembly, be sure the bearing races at both the front
clearance should be 0. 060to 0. 120-inch (1. 52 to 3.05
and back are in place. If not, refer to figures 6-25 and 6-
mm). Any dimension between 0.060 to 0.120 inch is
26. Check also that the step-joint sealrings, bearing and
satisfactory. However, the closer the clearance is to 0.
race are in place on the center support (fig. 5-21).
060 inch, the longer the interval between clutch plate
replacements will be. Replace worn plates with new
(2) Place lifting bracket 18 (fig. 4-2) under the
plates to establish the desired clearance.
spring retainer of the fourth-clutch assembly (refer to fig.
assembly is satisfactory, continue assembly with b,
Carefully lower the fourth clutch into the
below. Clearance must not be less than 0. 060 inch.
transmission. Engage the internal splines with splines on
the center sun gear shaft.
(8) If the clearance is not satisfactory, remove
the fourth clutch assembly and replace plates in the third
(3) Be sure the bearing race at the top (front)
clutch as required to obtain a satisfactory clearance.
of the clutch is in place. If not, lubricate it with oil-soluble
Refer to paragraph 7-2. Reinstall the fourth clutch
grease and install.
assembly and reassemble the third clutch when the
clearance is satisfactory.
(4) Install 8 third-clutch plates (fig. 7-32),
beginning with a thick external-tanged plate and
alternately installing 4 external tanged plates and 4
internal-splined plates. (Refer to para 7-2b(l), above.).
Be sure the clutch plate next to the
piston is a thick plate.
(5) Install the back plate. To insure proper
tang to housing slot alignment, use figure 7-32 as a